Administrative Assistant Job at HM Prison & Probation Service – in South Bank
Overview of the job
This is an administrative role based within the National Probation Service (NPS) Directorate in NOMS. The job holder reports to the designated Line Manager and supports the provision of business specific and transactional office based activities.
The job holder works collaboratively with other team members to provide reception duties and a range of administrative support services.
The job holder may be expected to support a number of teams/functions within the operational area and is to offer support and cover during periods of absence, for which training will be provided.
The job holder must promote diversity and anti-discriminatory practice in the performance of the post in a way that embraces Equality and values Diversity.
The post holder must adhere to all policies in respect of the sensitive/confidential nature of the information handled whilst working in this position.
NB: Core Hours include regular unsocial hours (evenings and/or weekends) as determined by the business need.
To provide an effective and efficient first point of contact with all visitors, telephone callers and undertake administrative functions in accordance with service policy and procedures.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
- To greet offenders and visitors, log their arrival and departure, ensure the appropriate member of staff is notified and issue visitor passes and security fobs as necessary
- To be first point of contact for partner businesses that reside within the same building
- To handle all queries, referring on when unable to resolve
- To handle incoming and outgoing telephone calls, take messages and transmit to the appropriate person.
- To deal with all mail items; incoming, outgoing and internal
- To take bookings, support and service meeting rooms including training event registration as required
- To support the allocation and booking of hot desks, car parking and pool cars as required
- To pay bus fares/travel warrants to offenders and handle day to day petty cash
- To assist in maintaining Health and Safety and security aspects of the premises, including the testing of fire alarms, testing panic alarms, monitoring CCTV and assisting evacuation measures
- To log building faults and incidents and keep a log of maintenance and repairs
- To ensure faults are reported and servicing requests for equipment are made with suppliers and contractors
- To assist with scanning and archiving as required
- To access databases for information as necessary and input information as required
- To practice safer working and adhere to data protection, confidentiality policies and legislation
- To order office stationery in liaison with the line manager
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive.
The Job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder.
Please refer to Job Description
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Managing a Quality Service
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
- Access to learning and development
- A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options to enhance your work life balance
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
- A civil service pension
- Annual Leave
- Public Holidays
- Season Ticket Advance
For more information about the recruitment process, benefits and allowances and answers to general queries, please click the below link which will direct you to our Candidate Information Page.
Company: HM Prison & Probation Service –
Company Location: South Bank