ADMITTING – CLERK Job at Mayers Memorial Hospital District – 3.0 in Fall River Mills, CA
ADMITTING – CLERK – Admitting
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Employee Type: NON-EXEMPT
Under the direction of the CFO, the Admitting Clerk is responsible for accurately registering patients, verifying insurance eligibility, indexing medical records and managing the point of access processes related to patient intake at Mayers Memorial Hospital District.
This position description is intended to identify some of the duties and responsibilities of this position. MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT reserves the right to modify, supplement, delete or augment the duties and responsibilities specified in this position description, at MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICTS sole and absolute discretion
1. High School Diploma.
2. 2-5 years experience in healthcare business office setting preferred.
3. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
4. Ability to work with others, at all levels within the organization, and collaborate effectively.
5. Above-average interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills.
6. Must be a team player to all departments, confidential of sensitive data, respectful of all other staff members, considerate of other peoples time, and accountable for work output.
1. Always demonstrates a professional behavior, both when on duty and as a representative of the hospital outside of normal work hours.
2. Always demonstrates a positive working relationship with patients, visitors and facility staff. Respectfully to managers and supervisors.
3. Demonstrates organizational ability and time management.
4. Produces deliverable products on time, within budget with minimal direction.
5. Demonstrates the ability to compile and organize data using Microsoft Office Applications. Ability to make appropriate recommendations or conclusions, given the data obtained.
6. Maintains an organized set of records, delivers records immediately upon request, for the functions that are performed within the scope of this job.
7. Communicates appropriately, respectfully, and clearly to directors, managers, and coworkers. Accepts direction as provided without questioning authority, within the chain of command.
8. Performs all assigned tasks accurately.
9. Takes direction from others to include those employees of other departments with which he/she works on a temporary basis in accordance with the chain of command.
10. Demonstrates ability to effectively use office machines in the performance of job functions.
11. Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
12. Demonstrates a high level of customer service in the performance of all job duties.
13. Answers phone calls, assists public, and forwards appropriately if necessary in a professional and friendly manner.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Coordinates the pre-admission process when applicable.
2. Pre-registers patients for scheduled admissions and outpatient procedures, obtaining required authorizations and verifying third party coverage eligibility, and forwards documentation to appropriate locations.
3. Interviews patients or their representatives for unscheduled services to obtain personal information and verify information that may be on file.
4. Prepares and sends letters to motor vehicle accident patients to obtain information required to process claims.
5. Creates and processes registrations for other departments outside of the acute hospital when necessary or assigned.
6. Prepares and enters new physician and payer codes into the organizations information system.
7. Obtains signatures on Conditions of Admission and initiates the advance directive process. Informs nursing when advance directive information is not available.
8. Ensures all documentation meets current standards and policies.
9. Understands hospital procedure when other language interpreter is required.
10. Provides information to the patient or representative about billing, complaint process, patient rights, HIPAA, Discount Policy, and visiting hours. Provides them with organization-specific literature.
11. Communicates relevant information to the supervisor, nurse managers, coworkers, physicians, and ancillary departments for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient needs.
12. Requests and collects deposits or co-payments when required, records payments, and forwards to the business office. If patients are unable to pay, notates account as to reason and arrangement for subsequent payment.
13. Understands the primary data systems used by Mayers Memorial Hospital District.
14. Understands hospital policies and is familiar with hospital services that are available.
15. Refers patients to financial counselor when financial arrangements need to be made.
16. Treats all patients and their families with respect and dignity, and ensures that confidentiality of patient information.
17. Understands EMTALA and when it is appropriate to obtain financial information from patients.
18. Understands basic information about third party coverage and requirements, including Medicare, Medi-Cal, and commercial insurance carriers.
19. Is cross-trained to serve in other patient financial services functions and serves in that capacity as assigned.
20. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Adheres to dress code; appearance is neat and professional.
2. Completes annual education requirements if applicable.
3. Maintains regulatory requirements.
4. Wears identification while on duty.
5. Attends annual evaluation and participates actively in this process.
6. Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work in designated time.
7. Attends all meetings as appropriate.
8. Exhibits the mission, ethics and goals of Mayers Memorial Hospital District in the performance of job duties
9. Performs other duties, as assigned.
1. Willingness to work beyond normal working hours, and in other positions temporarily when necessary.
2. Is involved with personnel, visitors, patients, and government agencies, etc., when necessary
3. Must function independently, have personal integrity, have flexibility and the ability to work effectively with other personnel, clients and support agencies.
4. Must be flexible, organized, and function well in stressful situations.
1. Sits, stands, bends, lifts, walks and moves intermittently during working hours.
2. Able to lift 20 lbs
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Other
Hourly Wage: $16.67 – $16.67 per/hour
Mayers Memorial Hospital District
43563 Highway 299 East; PO Box 459
Fall River Mills, Ca 96028
Company: Mayers Memorial Hospital District – 3.0
Company Location: Fall River Mills, CA