Applied Researcher Job at Amazon in Seattle, WA
Are you passionate about conducting research to develop and grow leaders? Would you like to impact more than 800,000 Amazonians globally and improve the employee experience? If so, you should consider joining Organizational Research and Measurement (ORM). Our goal is to be best and most diverse workforce in the world. ORM uses science, research and technology to optimize employee experience and performance across the full employee lifecycle, from first contact through exit.
We use survey research, market research, machine learning, and causal modeling to understand business dynamics, drive behavioral change, support evidence-based decision-making, and help develop innovative, intelligent products that Attract, Hire, Retain, Grow, and Gracefully Exit all employees in World Wide Consumer. We are looking for someone with a strong business acumen and who is a multi-disciplinary, experienced researcher/methodologist who can expertly navigate complex, ambiguous business challenges by asking the right questions, knowing what methodologies to use (and why), efficiently analyzing data, and communicating results to multiple audiences (e.g., technical peers, functional teams, business leaders).
The ideal candidate will have effective communication skills (writing, interpersonal, public), deep expertise across all facets of research fundamentals (research design, measurement, statistics), the drive to deliver high quality results quickly, and the ability to adapt to ever-evolving work environments and business priorities.
Major responsibilities will include:
– Managing global-scale research initiatives across multiple business segments that impact leaders in our organization
– Managing the full life cycle of large-scale research initiatives (i.e., develop strategy, gather requirements, manage, and execute).
– Manage and lead market research studies to understand employee profiles, motivators, barriers and unmet needs and apply insights into employee segmentation strategies.
– Conducting experiments, analytics, and compute behavioral process models for a deep dive understanding of systemic and individual level drivers; combine quantitative and qualitative data to inform research.
– Working with internal partners and external stakeholders to identify and prioritize areas of opportunity to enable an inclusive workforce for business impact.
– Collaborating with a cross-functional team that has expertise in social science, machine learning, econometrics, psychometrics, natural language processing, forecasting, optimization, business intelligence, analytics, and programs.
– Developing and evaluating measurement and causal models that effectively identify leaders experiences, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors that play a role in determining business outcomes including retention, safety, quality, engagement, and productivity.
– Ability to query complex data from multiple sources, data cleaning, and advanced statistical analysis.
– Writing high-quality, evidence-based documents that help provide insights to business leaders and gain buy-in.
– Serving as a subject matter expert on a wide variety of topics related to research design, measurement, analysis.
– Sharing knowledge, advocating for innovative solutions, and mentoring others.
– Evaluating research initiatives to provide bottom line value, ROI, and incremental improvements over timeBasic Qualifications
Master’s degree or higher in a quantitative social science field (e.g., Psychology, Economics, Marketing Science, Sociology, etc.).
– 5+ years conducting end-to-end scientific research in an applied setting.
– 3+ years experience with market research methodologies for employee segmentation, identify motivators, barriers and unmet needs
– 3+ years developing and implementing measurement models in an applied setting.
– Advanced skills in SQL and R, OR Python.
– Demonstrable expertise on research design methodologies for experiments, quasi-experiments, and non-experiments.
– Experience with qualitative research methodologies, including grounded theory, ethnography, focus groups, etc.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Company Location: Seattle, WA