Associate Design Engineer Job at Newell Brands in North Carolina
Position Title: Associate Design Engineer, (R&D)
Reports to: Leader, Design Engineer
Location: Huntersville, NC
The Associate Design Engineer will work on new product development (NPD) projects for both new and existing products, while working within a cross-functional team. Some travel may be required.
This position will:
- Transform Industrial Design concepts into functional and manufactural products, while following Newell’s Product Development Process
- Work effectively with other disciplines including Marketing, Industrial Design, Manufacturing, Quality, and Supply Chain
Identifies cost and risks at the product component level to meet defined cost targets.
- Develops the analysis of how part level decisions impact the overall business strategy to facilitate design-for-cost.
Technical Leadership – 10%
- Assists in the technical execution of projects to provide engineering support.
- Researches current relevant market place product offerings to understand competition and to aid in the generation of new product critical-to-quality features.
Problem Solving – 30%
- Assists with the implementation of existing technologies on a project level to meet project objectives.
- Uses a disciplined approach and multiple methodologies to assist in analysis and determination of preferred solutions to technical challenges.
- Compiles test results to provide data for use in solving problems.
- Collaborates with Engineers to develop optimal product test plans.
Communication – 25%
- Prepares and provides project status and risks to manager with appropriate level of detail to ensure that programs stay on schedule.
- Summarizes product test results to aid in the product development process.
- Participates in forums to encourage ideation and technical sharing to learn best practices.
- Supports cadence and techniques to contribute to efficient meetings.
Organizational Agility – 10%
Participates in cross-functional teams to work seamlessly across disciplines as required to execute product initiatives.
Technical Mastery – 15%
- Understands the principles of basic surfacing to ensure exposure to master, skeleton, and kinematic models.
- Supports Moldflow and finite element analysis (FEA) with guidance to deliver a robust engineering design.
- Develops computer aided design (CAD) models based on industrial design intent to transform concepts into manufactural specifications.
- Demonstrates fundamental understanding of manufacturing processes and materials to ensure designs are specified as best cost.
- Participates in brainstorm activities to push the limits on product design while maintaining product integrity.
- Demonstrates basic understanding of manufacturing tolerances and ability to apply nominal tolerances to CAD objects.
- Uses rapid prototyping to validate design concepts.
- Demonstrates familiarity with design for manufacturability (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA) to ensure a smooth transition between design and manufacturing.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required (Mechanical preferred)
- 0-2 years in related field required
- Demonstrates computer literacy in CAD (Creo preferred)
- Demonstrates knowledge of problem solving techniques and methodologies
- Demonstrates basic understanding of applicable manufacturing processing
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and project management skills
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to perform in a team environment
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Company: Newell Brands
Company Location: North Carolina