Deputy Director, Energy Job in Hobart, TAS at Tasmanian Government
Department of Treasury and Finance
Economic and Financial Policy Division
Shareholder Policy and Markets Branch
Applications must be submitted by Sunday 09 October, 2022 11:55 PM
Position details Applications close: Sunday 9 October, 2022 11:55 PM AEST
Award/Classification: Tasmanian State Service Award – General Stream Band 9 Salary: $154,195.00 to $170,580.00 pro rata, per annum
Employment Type: Permanent, flexible, Permanent, full-time, Permanent, part-time
We are looking for a motivated, interested and highly capable individual to fill this important and exciting position within Treasury. The position will lead a small team with a strong focus on the provision of high-level advice on the impact of major energy projects on the government’s business portfolio and energy pricing matters. It will also be responsible for the provision of advice on the operation of government energy businesses (including their financial performance, the provision of appropriate returns to government and funding requirements) and engagement on a day-to-day basis with senior stakeholders across government and the energy businesses.
Although focussed on the energy sector, this role will have a diverse range of responsibilities and priorities that reflect the dynamic nature of the current energy industry, market, policy and debate.
While previous experience in the energy sector maybe an advantage it is not essential. What is essential is a strong interest and capability to develop your knowledge and understanding of the sector and your capacity to provide high level advice on a broad range of associated strategic, economic, financial and technical issues.
Why work for us?
- We deal with big issues and, at the moment, they don’t come much bigger than energy.
- We contribute to major government activities that improve the wellbeing of Tasmanians.
- The nature of the work provides a great opportunity for talented individuals to develop their skills, knowledge and experience in a highly respected workplace.
- We are a diverse, inclusive and supportive workplace with a strong values-based, team oriented and flexible, high performing culture.
- Attractive, central city location.
Based on your career to date and the requirements of the role, you will have the demonstrated capacity to:
- understand complex issues associated with the operation of the national and Tasmanian energy markets and Government-owned businesses (including technical, financial, political and social issues) and provide authoritative advice based on this understanding, including from a whole-of-government perspective;
- provide a high level of leadership and direction to deliver outcomes in accordance with the position objective;
- effectively negotiate and influence strategic outcomes and communicate precisely and succinctly to internal and external stakeholders; and
- develop innovative, strategic and effective approaches to the resolution of problems and issues.
About the opportunity
On a day-to-day basis, the Deputy Director, Energy’s responsibilities will include:
- working with their team to provide high quality technical and other advice on energy issues;
- establishing strong relationships with key stakeholders and representing Treasury in discussions;
- the preparation of a variety of documentation that effectively and succinctly conveys key issues to the document’s intended audience and supports effective decision making;
- keeping well-informed in relation to relevant energy issues both at a national and state level;
- reviewing information prepared by Government businesses and other areas of the Government to identify strategic issues for the Treasurer; and
- managing their team, as part of the broader Branch, to ensure the timely and effective completion of energy business governance requirements and the preparation of advice in relation to energy business correspondence and issues that arise on a day-to-day basis.
Success in delivering the responsibilities effectively requires a commitment to quality, the effective use of judgement, positive relationships with stakeholders, workload management and the ability to identify solutions to complex problems.
About the Branch
The primary role of the Shareholder Policy and Markets Branch is to provide authoritative advice to the Government on the operation and strategic direction of government businesses and associated whole-of-government policy, projects and issues. The Branch is also responsible for ensuring the effective operation of the government business governance regime and managing the Government’s interaction with international credit rating agencies. The position of Deputy Director, Energy will lead a section within the Branch that will have specific responsibility for energy related issues including energy businesses, major energy projects and energy pricing.
What you will get back
Whether you are well established in your career, are looking for the next opportunity or seeking a change in direction, this position will provide the successful individual with a range of opportunities to develop their personal skills, knowledge and experience including in relation to:
- the successful communication of complex information;
- effective engagement with stakeholders with different objectives and responsibilities;
- the development of strong judgement in a multi-faceted environment; and
- small team management.
While there are a wide range of positions available within the energy sector which have a strong focus on specific issues, projects or responsibilities, this position provides the opportunity for the individual to develop and apply a much broader understanding of energy issues. Especially taking into account Treasury’s important whole-of-government focus.
Find out more about working at Treasury here –
We welcome applications from a diverse range of applicants and provide opportunities for flexible working arrangements.
Treasury expects all applicants who can be safely vaccinated for COVID 19, to be so.
Download the Statement of Duties and any Associated Documents
Please download the Statement of Duties, Advice to Applicants and Frequently Asked Questions below:
About the Company
Company: Tasmanian Government
Company Location: Hobart, TAS