Director of Engineering Job at IZEA, Inc in Orlando, FL
IZEA Worldwide, Inc. (“IZEA”) is a marketing technology company providing software and professional services that enable brands to collaborate and transact with the full spectrum of today’s top social influencers and content creators.
The company serves as a champion for the growing Creator Economy, enabling individuals to monetize their content, creativity, and influence. IZEA launched the industry’s first-ever influencer marketing platform in 2006 and has since facilitated nearly 4 million transactions between online buyers and sellers.
Leading brands and agencies partner with IZEA to increase digital engagement, diversify brand voice, scale content production, and drive highly measurable return on investment.
IZEA is a microcap public company traded on NASDAQ. The company has raised $26.2 million and traded over $1B in stock in 2020. We have launched two new software platforms this year and we are seeking a Director of Engineering to join our team as we embark on our next stage of growth. This role will report directly to the CTO.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity in our team members.
About the Role
You will lead a global team of cross-functional engineers to deliver world-class digital experiences with the customer at their core. You will also drive efficiencies in our processes, our tools, and our automations. In doing so, you will take a metrics centric approach to measuring the success of our teams and our processes.
The team strives to be ego-free and motivated only by building amazing software for our users. We seek to understand the “why” behind the “what”. We regularly break out into small teams to tackle problems, learn new technologies, or just share what we know with others. We test our code and invest in the health of our systems. We push each other, learn from each other, and strive to continually grow.
IZEA is headquartered in Orlando, Florida though the company is currently 100% remote due to COVID-19. Ideal candidates would be located in the Orlando area, or a short plane flight away. We would prefer the ability for engineering leaders to meet in person as needed in the future. Candidates must be very comfortable with a remote workforce, as all engineering personnel are currently 100% remote and living in different cities.
- Manage, develop, and mentor a global team of cross-disciplined engineers by providing vision and role clarity, leadership, coaching, training, and accountability to the team.
- Identify and manage cross-team dependencies; facilitate communication between parallel efforts.
- Effectively navigate the organization and communicate with various functions including (but not limited to) Product, Sales, Finance, Success to gather requirements and ensure successful product development and implementation.
- Build highly available, scalable applications with the customer at the center.
- Raise the bar for technical excellence and people management practices.
- Define, implement, and track metrics pertinent to the development process.
- Continuously experiment with and optimize the development processes.
- Identify opportunities to leverage new and emerging engineering delivery capabilities to drive improved value, quality, and velocity for our teams.
- Select, develop, and evaluate personnel ensuring the efficient operation of the team.
- Advocate for and champion your team by encouraging their shared ownership and understanding of the product(s) and their workflows, listening and considering bottom-up input, and sharing and celebrating successes.
- Proactively collaborate with product teams to resolve any blocking issues and ensure timely delivery.
- Lead efforts to refine and improve our CI/CD pipelines, tools, and automations.
What we’re looking for…
Self-motivated, and the ability to thrive is a fast-moving environment.
- Things move quickly at IZEA. You are a self-starter than proactively solves problems and identifies opportunities.
Technical background with a passion for process, problem-solving, and optimization.
- You’ve built durable and scalable applications, solved hard technical problems, and in doing so you’ve learned the value of process as it relates to repeating success.
3+ years experience leading engineering teams.
- Your team will be composed of engineers with a broad skill set. Guiding a cross-functional team to make and release great products is your day to day effort.
Knowledge of agile methodologies.
- IZEA’s product teams use elements of traditional agile methodologies to build and deliver our digital experiences. You should be familiar w/ and have exposure to agile development practices.
Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple incoming requests.
- IZEA’s engineering teams strive to provide great experiences and great service to our users. In order to do that, you may need to context switch regularly or drop what you are doing to start work on something else.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Regular and timely communication is the key to a trust-based development process. You should be able to simply and concisely ask for feedback and direction in terms that your audience understands, and relay requested information in a timely fashion to your leaders. You should prioritize documentation of processes and code.
Amazon Web Services, or other cloud services.
- IZEA’s software is hosted on AWS, and you will need familiarity with it. Previous experience in using a cloud provider, even if just for developer tooling, shows that you understand some of the nuances involved in working in the cloud.
Continuous Integration & Delivery.
- IZEA uses a custom ChatOp bots to drive our CI/CD pipeline. You should have familiarity with continuous integration and delivery. These processes will be under your purview.
Demonstrated experience with the following will be highly valued…
Familiarity with our tech stack.
- IZEA has services and pipelines built in Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, NodeJS, and Python. Familiarity w/ these languages/frameworks, their toolsets, and best practices would be an asset
Git and Github.
- All of IZEA’s code is source controlled on Github. We leverage Github Pull Requests for code reviews, Github integrations manage parts of our CI/CD pipeline, and Github releases define the code tags that ultimately get deployed. Much of our process documentation exists on Github pages. Familiarity with navigating Github’s features will help you ramp up in our SDLC faster.
Atlassian Stack (JIRA/Confluence).
- IZEA uses JIRA to manage projects and report on progress to stakeholders inside and outside the company. While we strive to automate as much of JIRA as possible with bots, webhooks, and reports, understanding how JIRA issues, links, attachments, and workflows work will help you understand our SDLC faster.
Social Media & Content Marketing literate.
- This is our business! We are looking for people who are active on Social Media, understand Influencers, get why Content Marketing is important, and have a general background on the landscape.
Why would you want to work here?
The act of hiring is not simply to up the headcount or to fill a seat quickly. When we hire at IZEA, it’s to add to our strong existing roster of talent and choose the right individual to impact, collaborate, commit, inspire, and grow alongside our tenured teams.
IZEA has been ranked a ‘Top Place to Work’ by the Orlando Sentinel for the past 4 years and has been recognized as a Deloitte “Fast 500” honoree for the past 2 years. We take great pride in creating a positive work environment for all our employees – from our investment in team member ongoing education, to the ability to influence real change across our business – we are dedicated to your long-term growth and success.
At IZEA, you have an opportunity to make an impact on a global scale. IZEA connects leading brands with a network of over 850,000 opt-in creators ranging from YouTube stars to mommy bloggers and everyone in-between. We are the pioneers fueling the democratization of information, entertainment, marketing, and commerce. Our platforms fuel the burgeoning Creator Economy, filled with the next generation of artists, poets, filmmakers, photographers, thought leaders, comics, actors, and musicians. What you do here will impact hundreds of thousands of people directly and influence the actions of millions more.
We provide an open, flexible work environment that welcomes people from diverse backgrounds and viewpoints. IZEA places value on action and results. We seek individuals that thrive in a challenging and fast-evolving work environment. While the company is over 14 years old, our executives remain active player-coaches — they roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty by working side-by-side with our team members across all levels of seniority to accomplish our common goals.
IZEA is focused on promoting an inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate the different viewpoints and experiences our diverse group of team members bring to our company. If you are the very best at what you do and seeking an opportunity to attack the “never been done before” with a passionate team of dreamers and doers, we encourage you to apply.
Powered by JazzHR
Company: IZEA, Inc
Company Location: Orlando, FL