Director – Transactions & Privacy Counsel Job at SugarCRM in Cupertino, CA
SugarCRM is a customer experience (CX) leader enabling businesses to create profitable customer relationships by delivering highly relevant, personalized experiences throughout the customer journey. We empower companies to strengthen existing customer relationships, create new ones through actionable insights and intelligent automation and better understand the customer at every stage of the journey. This enables businesses to accelerate demand generation, grow revenue, deliver superior customer care and increase loyalty. Our easy-to-use, intuitive platform makes customer experience easy and accessible for everyone, allowing marketing, sales and services professionals to focus on high-impact, value-adding activities that create customers for life.
SugarCRM is a customer experience leader enabling businesses to create profitable customer relationships by delivering highly relevant, personalized experiences throughout the customer journey. We empower companies to strengthen existing customer relationships, create new ones through actionable insights and intelligent automation and better understand the customer at every stage of the journey. This enables businesses to accelerate demand generation, grow revenue, deliver superior customer care and increase loyalty.
We seek an experienced, energetic attorney with extensive experience negotiating and drafting software licenses and related agreements (mostly outbound, but some inbound), and who also has significant experience and knowledge of applicable data privacy laws.
You will work closely with the Sales organization, order processing personnel, and other departments, and of course also closely with those in our small but mighty legal department.
This role reports to the General Counsel and primarily concerns contracts with parties based in North America, Asia, South America, and elsewhere outside of the EU.
This role will be remote during Covid, and if the person is not based near one of our US offices, will be entirely remote (except on rare occasions where travel to one of our offices or for other purposes might be required).
Transactions Experience – at least five years in each of these areas:
– Negotiating and drafting the following types of contracts, amendments, schedules, and related contract provisions and documents:
o Master Subscription Agreements (outbound)
o Vendor contracts (inbound)
o OEM, referral, partnership, affiliate, and distributor agreements
o Professional service agreements and SOWs
o Other types of agreements and related documents
– Assessing, responding to, and finding contracting solutions where the other party’s counsel demands significant changes to our terms
– Explaining to internal stakeholders and other parties when we can and can’t give on particular contract terms, and why
Data Privacy Experience – at least three years in each of these areas:
– Deep knowledge of applicable laws
– Assessing and counseling on data privacy issues and laws, especially as concern GDPR, Privacy Shield, and cookies
– Negotiating and drafting privacy-related agreements and contract provisions and working with product/engineering organizations on privacy implications of business and design decisions
– Experience with SCCs and NDAs
– Able to handle a steady, significant workload, with little need for supervision.
– Willing and able to follow and stick to a contracts playbook.
– Creative thinker, solution-oriented, especially as concern contract issues.
– Clear communicator, both written and spoken
– Knows how to work within a system without wanting to “reinvent the wheel”.
– Patient, Persuasive, Great attitude
– In-House experience
– International experience
– SaaS experience a strong plus
Must have JD from accredited law school
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of dedication, impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We want you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for. We also know that diversity of background and thought makes for better problem solving and more creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team.
Benefits and Perks:
Beyond a stellar work environment, friendly people, and inspiring work, we have some great benefits and perks:
– Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, along with other benefit plans including 401(k) match
– Unlimited Paid Time Off
– Wellness Reimbursement Program
– Onsite Programs, depending on location, such as Dry Cleaning, Car Washes, Massage, Yoga, and more
– Career & Personal Development Program – multi-platform
– Regular social events
– Ownership is the greatest self-identity at SugarCRM – you are making an immediate impact
– We are a merit-based company – many opportunities to learn, excel and grow your career
Company Location: Cupertino, CA