Energy Management Specialist Job at Capital Power in Edmonton, AB
Capital Power owns nearly 6,200 megawatts (MW) of power generation capacity at 26 facilities across North America. Approximately 800 MW of owned generation capacity is in advanced development in Alberta and Illinois.
One Permanent, Full-Time Position.
The EMOC Team is looking for a skilled and passionate Energy Management Specialist (EMS) to join their team.
What is EMOC?
The Energy Management Operations Center (EMOC) is a dynamic and diverse team of professionals who are collaborative, passionate about learning, and want to drive change. EMOC’s Energy Management Engineers and Specialists are critical in managing the day-to-day operations of the team and offering exceptional services for our customers. In addition, they have opportunities to leverage their talents and work on a diverse set of projects, including projects that may provide experience towards their own developmental goals.
EMOC is accountable for real-time operations for over 5,000 MW of thermal, solar, and wind generating capacity in Canada and the United States. The successful candidate will report to the Manager, Energy Management Operations Center and work closely with others within the team to offer leading-edge, real-time services for our customers. EMOC’s real-time services includes effective coordination of information amongst plant operators, balancing authorities, grid operators, transmission operators, and customers; monitoring of remote renewable assets; financial settlement; market rule compliance management; and operational analytics.
The successful candidate will develop to become a subject-matter expert of EMOC’s real-time and renewable operations. They will gain firsthand experience working within Canada’s and the United States’ largest power markets and knowledge of real-time market fundamentals, regulatory requirements, and compliance obligations. They will also provide analytical and operational support for Capital Power thermal and renewable facilities.
What would you be doing?
- Create and manage generating asset real-time offer submissions in accordance with corporate policies, Independent System Operator (ISO) market rules, and regulatory requirements;
- Manage generating asset outages, testing, and ISO directives in real-time;
- Remotely monitor wind farms and support operational analytics to maximize the sites’ value and availability;
- Champion projects and work with others to enhance real-time operations;
- Provide support to other Capital Power cross-functional teams to integrate and commission new generating assets into Capital Power’s fleet of generating assets and EMOC;
- Complete analytics necessary to meet EMOC’s real-time, financial settlement, risk management, operations, and reporting obligations;
- Maintain process/system documentation, training guides, and tools;
- Identify and provide recommendations on how systems and processes can be improved or enhanced;
- Complete accurate and timely operational analytics by stakeholders or the manager and upon request;
- Proactively identify and lead ad-hoc projects that supports EMOC’s business plan objectives;
- Execute projects for other teams in Capital Power, as required; and
- Participate in rotations or other short-term support in other teams, as opportunities arise.
What are we looking for?
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent in Business, Computer Science, or Economics with a minimum of two years of experience in the power industry.
- Individuals with a diploma or certificate from an accredited technical school and with adequate experience working with thermal or renewable operations will also be considered.
- Knowledge of Alberta’s, Ontario’s, or other North American power markets; commodity markets; and trading a considerable asset.
- Coursework and experience related to the power industry, management information systems, resource economics, or operations management an asset.
- Proven problem solving and analytical reasoning skills with impeccable attention-to-detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated success managing projects.
- Ability to understand and interpret applicable regulations to real-time operations.
- Proficiently manages, summarizes, and models large amounts of data.
- Knowledge of machine learning and programming experience (R, MATLAB, Python, SQL, Visual Basic) considered an asset.
Social Process Skills:
- Positive, results oriented attitude with a team-based perspective.
- Effectively communicates with internal and external stakeholders, and across various levels of the organization.
- Ability to quickly make decisions and respond to changing circumstances in a fast-paced environment and with incomplete information.
- Remain calm and assertive during busy situations.
- Always curious and independently seeks to acquire knowledge and solutions to problems.
You will be a key member of the 24-hour Energy Management team and will require shift work that includes nights, weekends, and holidays. However, Capital Power believes in work life balance. As such, the shift schedule is released in advance and has flexibility.
Capital Power employees are eligible for a $1,000 Referral Reward for this position!
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
As this is a safety sensitive position, clearance of drug & alcohol test are bona fide occupational requirements.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Company: Capital Power
Company Location: Edmonton, AB