Engineer Substrates Engineering Development Bologna, Italy Operations Job at Philip Morris International – in Bologna, Emilia-Romagna
At Philip Morris International (PMI), we’ve chosen to do something incredible. We’re totally transforming our business, and building our future on smoke-free products.
With huge change, comes huge opportunity. So, wherever you join us, you’ll enjoy the freedom to dream up and deliver better, brighter solutions and the space to move your career forward in endlessly different directions.
Wherever you join our crucial 47,000-strong Operations team, you’ll have the opportunity to make an impact. PMI’s shift from selling cigarettes to our new smoke-free products has changed the way we work. New products bring new challenges – in the way we source and buy raw materials, in the way we engineer and manufacture, and in our supply chain planning.
Bring us your curiosity and a desire to challenge the everyday and we’ll give you lots of responsibility. You’ll help us improve, inject innovation and create new ways of working.
YOUR ‘DAY TO DAY’
As Engineer/Senior Engineer, Substrates Engineering Development, you will be part of Manufacturing Solutions department for Philip Morris International and will be reporting to the Sr. Manager Substrates Engineering Development. The position is based in Bologna (Italy).
A key responsibility will be to lead engineering projects to develop and implement effective and efficient new Substrates process and technologies for our Reduced-Risk Products (RRP)! Provide technical expertise to the organization on the industrialization of new processes and methods in order to meet business needs!
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead projects or work packages for process development, identification and selection of manufacturing technologies for new products
- Provide feedback to product design
- Support development of build-buy-borrow strategy
- Lead early manufacturing concept development. Anticipate and address possible impact to manufacturing performance at early stages in the industrialization of new technologies
- Integrate initial specifications for new technologies into equipment and processes
- Participate in selection of suppliers for process and equipment design
- Provide inputs to business cases for investments in new processes
- Lead external partners and consortia for new processes design
- Perform process characterization and lead related pFMEA for integration into overall Quality Control Strategy
- Plan and own the execution of the assigned projects and ensure the delivery of expected functionalities within the agreed time, budget and quality. Regularly supervise and assess the project progress, bring up the risks and propose solutions on a timely manner
- University degree in Engineering or similar fields, advanced degree is a plus
- Deep knowledge and experience in engineering, manufacturing processes and project management, preferably in food or pharmaceutical industry
- Proven track record in process development, equipment specification, design reviews and qualification processes. Ability to translate process requirements into technology standards
- Experience in leading projects from process development to industrialization, including equipment design, testing, acceptance and qualification
- Strong technical experience in process development and knowledgeable about core material processing technologies
- Knowledgeable on Quality Management Systems
- Experience in understanding the product and process fundamental science and able to translate this knowledge into practical applications
Requirements & Skills:
- Strong influencing and interpersonal skills. Able to develop professional relationships and network efficiently throughout the organization
- Ability to communicate clearly and constructively
- Ability to work with full autonomy in leading end-to-end projects and working in multi-functional teams
- Ability to apply appropriate problem-solving techniques and judgement based on experience, data and business knowledge to evaluate and resolve issues, anticipate risks and find opportunities
- Proficiency in English is a must
What we offer:
Our success depends on the men and women who come to work every single day with a sense of purpose and an appetite for progress. Join PMI and you too can:
- Seize the freedom to define your future and ours. We’ll empower you to take risks, experiment and explore.
- Be part of an inclusive, diverse culture, where everyone’s contribution is respected; collaborate with some of the world’s best people and feel like you belong.
- Pursue your ambitions and develop your skills with a global business – our staggering size and scale provides endless opportunities to progress.
Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna (PM MTB)
PM MTB is Philip Morris International’s Center of excellence, worldwide recognized for prototyping, mass-volume production and employees’ training on smoke-free products. PM MTB employs more than 1000 employees and its production site of Crespellano is one of the most advanced manufacturing venues in Italy for technology innovation, competencies development and talent recognition. In 2021, Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna has been awarded as Top Employer for the eighth year in a row. In the same year, was also granted the Equal Salary Certification certificate by the homonymous foundation to certify that men and women are paid equally for equivalent work.
For more information, see our PMI and PMI Science websites.
-  Reduced-risk products (“RRPs”) is the term we use to refer to products that present, are likely to present, or have the potential to present less risk of harm to smokers who switch to these products versus continued smoking. We have a range of RRPs in various stages of development, scientific assessment and commercialization.
PMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Company: Philip Morris International –
Company Location: Bologna, Emilia-Romagna