Exhibition Curator Job at Maropeng ‘a Afrika Leisure – in Krugersdorp, Gauteng 1751
CURATOR: FULL TIME POSITION
The role of the Curator is to identify, procure, oversee installation, manage, and publicise exhibitions for the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site Visitor Centre at Maropeng and Sterkfontein Caves. The role is to preserve and safeguarding the scientific accuracy and integrity of exhibitions, publications, guiding scripts, statements, interaction, and training in the Visitor Centers and ensure that the exhibition and all related products, activities and stories reflect the highest standards of scientific integrity and learning.
Requirements of the role:
- Appropriate Degree in the sciences (Minimum of a master’s degree in the Palaeosciences/Heritage Studies or related field)
- Minimum 3 – 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Confident and dynamic personality
- Experience in event management and marketing desirable
- Hospitality experience would be advantageous
Major Role Activities Include:
- Exhibition Management – including:
- Set up,
- Developing and maintaining new products,
- Facilitating upgrades,
- Guest related feedback
- Ensuring storyline authenticity and CAPS aligned curriculum pack
- Develop, implement, and maintain the Exhibition Operating Manuals
- Promoting scientific content to the public
- Maintaining relations with WITS Academic community (other Universities when required)
- Encourage new relationships with similar South African and African heritage and World heritage exhibitions
- Ensuring correct procedures with regards to site reporting and filming requirements for Sterkfontein Caves
- Subject matter expert for all media platforms (Marketing and PR)
- Be up to date on all the latest research in palaeoanthropology and related fields
- Performance management, training, and general management of Tour Guides
- Exhibition and Display Policies and Procedures and management of standards for all Exhibition areas (permanent and temporary)
- Stakeholder Engagement
- People Management
- ·Educational Programmes
Skills / Inherent requirements:
- an interest in and knowledge of a relevant subject area
- accuracy and attention to detail.
- communication skills, both written and oral.
- IT skills including knowledge of social media platforms.
- motivation and creative flair.
- influencing and negotiation skills.
- organisation, planning, and administrative skills.
- project management skills.
- political awareness.
- research skills.
- teamwork and building relationships.
- a flexible approach to work.
- People management skills
PLEASE NOTE, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO QUOTE THE VACANCY IN WHICH YOU ARE APPLYING FOR IN THE EMAIL SUBJECT LINE, PLEASE ATTACH A COVER LETTER AND YOUR RESUME INCLUDE SUPOORTING DOCUMENTS FOR CONSIDERATION.
A CRESUME THAT DOES NOT HAVE A COVER LETTER WILL BE REJECTED. ALL APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SENT TO THE BELOW EMAIL., NO HAND DELIVERED APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED. DUE TO HIGH VOLUMES OF APPLICATIONS ONLY THE SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Application Deadline: 2021/04/05
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
All individuals are required to wear masks
comply with the social distancing protocols
Sanities at every station before entering
- Palaeosciences/Heritage Studies : 5 years (Required)
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Company: Maropeng ‘a Afrika Leisure –
Company Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng 1751