Finance and Budget Officer Jobs in New York at United Nations
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Finance Team of the Executive Office serving the Departments of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA) and Peace Operations (DPO). The Executive Office is part of the Office of the Director for Coordination and Shared Services enables, directs and coordinates departmental efforts to ensure the effective integration and management of both Departments. The position is under the general supervision of the Senior Administrative Officer and the Executive Officer.
The Department of Peace Operations (DPO) serves as a center of excellence for peace operations, responsible for preventing, responding to and managing conflict and sustaining peace in countries where peace operations under its purview are deployed, and provides support to other entities on peace and security issues.
The Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA) focuses primarily on five action areas in international peace and security, ensuring sound analysis and early warning, preventing conflict and engaging in peacemaking, managing political crises and violent conflicts, sustaining peace, and enhancing partnerships. The Department’s mandate is to prevent and resolve conflict through inclusive political solutions.
• Reviews, analyses and finalizes cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from (a) Departments/offices at headquarters (b) DPA-administered Trust Funds and (c) Special Political Missions (SPMs) as well as hoc programme activities
• Provides detailed input with respect to resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Reviews, analyzes and finalizes program budget/financial implications to the Security Council statements in light of additional mandates.
• Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies in their budget review; assists in securing approval from the General Assembly.
• Issues allotments, authorizes sub-allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
• Manages and monitors budget implementation and recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
• Monitors expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
• Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Authorizes payment to Governments for settlement of certified death and disability, contingent-owned equipment and letters-of-assist claims; determine average monthly troop strengths, establishing amounts reimbursable and initiating payments for reimbursement to troop-contributing countries.
• Prepares budget performance submissions.
• Reviews and finalizes budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
• Provides advice and guidance, including training, to headquarters and field staff on budgetary and financial policies and procedures, including results-based budgeting.
• Participates in inter-departmental meetings and/or technical survey missions on matters related toresource requirements, programming and budgetary issues.
• Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related toprogram and/or peacekeeping bud…
Job Title: Finance and Budget Officer
Company Name: United Nations
Location: New York
Experince: 8 – 10 years
Job Category: Education, Government & Non-Profit