Librarian Job at City of Ottawa in Ottawa, ON
Competition Number: 2019-EX-EN-52742287-01
Competition posting date: 2019.12.05
Competition closing date: 2019.12.18
Ottawa Public Library, Branch Operations, Public Services
1 Full-time Continuous Position – 35 hours/week
Affiliation: CUPE 503 Library
Salary: $65,709.28 to $78,418.34 annually (2019 rates of pay)
Location: Library, 120 Metcalfe Street
Category: Current Opportunities
Employment Group: Library
Provides professional library service in one or more of the following areas: information, quick and in-depth
reference and readers’ advisory, programs, collection development, bibliographic access and inventory
control, systems support or development, maintenance of web based services and staff training and
development. May be assigned duties in children, youth and/or adult services. May be senior person in
charge or exercise responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the library branch.
Work is performed within the context of the policies and framework of the Library corporate culture as
embodied in the Mission Statement, Core Values, Customer Experience Guidelines and the Canadian
Library Association position statements on Intellectual Freedom and Diversity and Inclusion, with particular
emphasis on providing customer service excellence.
Education & Experience
Masters degree in library and/or information sciences from an accredited library school.
6 months of related experience required.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check to the City of Ottawa’s
Day 1 Ready – immediate requirement for language proficiency:
French oral, reading, writing required.
English oral, reading, writing required.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- General knowledge of Library policies and procedures.
- Theories and principles of library science as well as methods and techniques of library operations.
- Methods and techniques of responding to inquiries and resolving patron complaints.
- Methods and techniques of classification, cataloguing and authority control.
- Methods and techniques of systems analysis and applications.
- Principles of collections development and maintenance.
- Adult/children literature in a variety of formats, readers’ advisory services, trends in reading, literacy
and ESL collections and adult/children’s programming.
- Knowledge of current automated library systems.
- Knowledge of microcomputer, hardware, software and peripherals.
- Knowledge of current web development tools and trends.
- Knowledge of intranet structures and development.
- Electronic database and other bibliographic searching techniques.
- Reference resources in print, microform and electronic formats and of current developments in
- Desktop applications, intranet and Internet and keyboarding procedures, to the extent where it may be
required to demonstrate such usage to colleagues or library patrons.
- Methods, techniques and practices of adult training, including needs identification, curriculum
design/adaptation, delivery and evaluation.
- Working knowledge of applicable occupational health and safety legislation.
- Knowledge of customer service techniques and protocols.
- General knowledge of Ottawa Public Library policies and procedures related to health and safety
Competencies & Skills
- To deliver library programs to a range of users who may include early childhood, school age and
- Use tact, discretion and confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Perform multiple tasks concurrently.
- Well developed organizational skills.
- To establish and maintain effective liaisons and cooperation with agencies and departments.
- Exercise effective judgement and independent decision making.
- Data-entry, retrieval and keyboarding skills including use of standard office equipment, including
operating an IBM compatible computer in Microsoft Windows.
- Minimum keyboard skills of 25 wpm.
- Customer service orientation, including the use of tact, discretion and confidentiality.
If this opportunity matches your interest and profile please apply online by using the “Apply”
button. If this is your first online application please refer to our resources on how to apply for jobs online.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process
will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that
reflects the diverse population it serves. The City encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the
HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.
Company: City of Ottawa
Company Location: Ottawa, ON