Office Assistant Job at State of Connecticut – Department of Children & Families – 4.0 in Torrington, CT
The State of Connecticut, Department of Children and Families’ (DCF) mission is partnering with communities and empowering families to raise resilient children who thrive. We are proud of our diverse and dedicated workforce who strive every day to meet the needs of those we encounter.
We are actively recruiting for an Office Assistant position in the Torrington Area Office. This is a full-time, 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday, 8 am to 5 pm position. The position is located at 62 Commercial Boulevard, Torrington, CT 06790. This Office Assistant will provide clerical support to child protection social workers, along with working with the public in the receptionist area.
Additional responsibilities will include, but are not be limited to:
Participate in meetings and trainings
Develop and maintain various software spreadsheets
Maintain and update logs for tracking purposes
File and prepare closed records
Sort and distribute mail, including utilizing a postage machine
Assist with DCF record preparation for scanning
Operate the copy/fax machine
Assist with front desk duties, and interacting with members of the public
Assist with E-filing of legal and/or Court documents
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
Effective written and oral communication skills, proper grammar, punctuation and spelling
The ability to handle information of a highly confidential nature
The ability to process accurately high volumes of work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
As a state employee, you will be open to a terrific work life balance and competitive benefits package. This includes; excellent health care, generous leave policies, a retirement plan, a deferred compensation program, and more!
We hope you take this opportunity to continue your career with us and make an impact by serving your state.
Check out this video below to see what it’s like to be a state employee:
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a) .
Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and must specify their qualifications on their application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Please note you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting’s closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question’s expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user’s spam.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Ethan Ives at [email protected]
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing a full range of general clerical functions or for carrying out responsibility for the flow and completion of clerical work in an assigned area.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. TYPING: Types a variety of materials in relation to other duties or as assigned; enters and retrieves data on personal computers and computer terminals.
2. FILING: Sets up and maintains office procedures, filing and indexing systems and forms for own use.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine correspondence.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles and generates recurrent technical, statistical or financial reports requiring judgment in the selection and presentation of data (format).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Provides general information and referral services in response to citizen complaints or questions regarding an agency’s services or authority; responds to inquiries from other work units or departments/agencies; applies agency policies and state statutes and regulations in determining case status or responding to requests for procedural assistance; may lead lower level employees in carrying out assigned clerical functions.
6. PROCESSING: Maintains calendars of due dates and initiates recurring work or special clerical projects accordingly; processes a variety of documents in determining routine case status; exercises discretion in choosing appropriate follow through procedures within defined guidelines including assembling and reviewing incoming materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance to established guidelines and agency policy and procedures, verifying information through use of internal resources and contacts with sender and other work units and soliciting additional information as required by phone or form letter; processes purchase requisitions/purchase orders for subsequent action; prepares payment lists and billing invoices; receives shipments of materials and matches/verifies shipment or billing invoices against original purchase orders; maintains billing control cards, files, journals or account ledgers by posting credits, expenditures, interest, etc.; figures payments, costs, discounts and adjustments using prescribed methods and formulas; receives monies in various forms such as cash, checks and money orders and prepares for deposit; maintains inventory and orders supplies; uses a variety of automated equipment to perform job functions; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of office systems and procedures including proper telephone usage and filing; oral and written communication skills; skill in performing arithmetical computations; basic interpersonal skills; ability to perform a full range of clerical tasks; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers, computer terminals and other electronic automated equipment; ability to operate office suite software; ability to schedule and prioritize workflow; ability to read and interpret complex instructions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of general clerical work experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling six (6) months of experience.
Preference will be given to those who possess the following:
Experience working with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Experience in a multi-facetted and high volume work environment
Experience in interpersonal customer service
Persons having responsibility for supervising or observing the behavior of inmates or custodial individuals will be required to possess a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certification by the time of permanent appointment.
Company: State of Connecticut – Department of Children & Families – 4.0
Company Location: Torrington, CT