Packaging Operator I Job at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals – 3.4 in Hobart, NY
Packaging Line Operator I is responsible for tending machines and conveyors at various stages of the packaging line to maintain efficient, continuous packaging of the product for shipment.
1. Promote and adhere to safety requirements.
2. Follow safe working practices in the execution of their assigned duties.
3. Actively participate in general site and departmental Safety initiatives.
4. Setup assigned station(s) on the line including assembly of basic equipment and preparing materials needed (e.g. bottles, caps, cotton, etc).
5. Tend/operate station(s) during production run to insure proper operation and keep station filled with supplies or product.
6. Weigh product at various stages of the packaging process.
7. Perform checks/tests required for applicable station(s).
8. Adjust containers/materials for proper placement and remove defective pieces.
9. Start and stop equipment when required.
10. Perform hand-packaging and material-handling functions.
11. Collect all process related hazardous wastes and transport to accumulation drums.
13. Document inspections performed and keep accurate equipment records, clean-up sheets and other required paperwork.
14. Disassemble, clean and reassemble basic line equipment according to SOPs. Insure proper inspections are conducted prior to reassembly.
15. Clean and assemble dust collector.
16. Perform lock-out/tag-out procedures according to SOPs.
17. Maintain clean work area; clear away debris, damaged or defective product, cartons, labels and packaging supplies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervision or as required by the position/operation.
- Incorporate Mallinckrodt Cultural Hallmarks in daily routine.
- Engaged: Promote accountability and responsibility. Forward thinking to anticipate potential issues and downtime.
- Competitive: Continuous improvement oriented. Understand, promote, and practice lean principals.
- Collaborative: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ensuring professional and courteous interactions at all organizational levels. Work effectively in a high performing team environment; understand the basic concepts of team dynamics and team building.
- High Performing: Understand and support performance excellence objectives.
20. Assist operators at other stations of the line as needed.
21. Work on any packaging line at stations on which you are trained.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job:
1. Physical demand involves light work requiring incumbent to exert up to 5 pounds of force continuously, up to 25 pounds of force frequently and over 25 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Physical demand also involves walking, standing and stooping (75%), sitting, grasping, bending and reaching (15%) talking/hearing (10%) and occasional climbing
2. Visual demand requires clarity of vision at 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more with peripheral vision and the ability to bring objects into sharp focus, to judge distance and space relationships and to identify and distinguish colors.
3. Mental demand involves normal attention to repetitive actions as well as awareness of activity in other areas of the packaging line.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job:
1. Exposure to active product requires incumbent to wear a dust mask on a regular basis.
2. Protective clothing including shirt, slacks, jacket, safety glasses, booties, hairnet and gloves are worn continuously in performance of the job functions.
3. Work hazards include proximity to moving mechanical equipment, exposure to active product and dust, odors, cleaning solvents, loud noise, vibration and poor ventilation.
Requires basic knowledge of arithmetic, spelling, English, and grammar equivalent to a high school education.
Recommended minimum of three to six months experience under direct supervision and guidance in order to gain sufficient skill to perform the requirements of the position.
Preferred Skills/Competencies that may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Ability to comprehend and carry out instructions furnished in written and oral form and deal with problems involving standardized situations.
- Perform the basic functions of arithmetic; add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure.
- Perform reading, writing and speaking at a basic level.
- Ability to work under direct supervision to learn the functions of the position.
- Basic eye-hand coordination.
- Basic proficiency operating several of the following stations on the packaging lines:
- Bottle Unscrambler
- Cottoner/Coil Inserter
- Capper, Torque Tester
- Induction Sealer/Foil Seal Detector
- End Packing
- Bottle Checkware
- Reject Station
Machines, Tools, Equipment, Work Aids that may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position (see Department Training Manual for most current and comprehensive list of equipment):
Bottle unscrambler, cottoner/coil inserter, capper, torque tester, induction sealer, foil seal detector, shrink tunnels, scales and packaging tape dispenser, bottle checkware, reject station.
Directly Reports to:
Packaging Line Supervisor
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 – $18.00 per hour
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Mid-Day (Required)
- Evening (Required)
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Child Care benefits
- Gym memberships or discounts
- Employee discounts
Company: Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals – 3.4
Company Location: Hobart, NY