Payroll Administrator Job at City of St. John’s in St. John’s, NL
Position Title: Payroll Administrator
Department: Finance and Administration
Appointment Status: Full-Time Permanent
Employee Group: CUPE 1289
Job Category: Accounting & Finance
Closing Date: January 22, 2021
Our City, Our Future
St. John’s is a progressive city with a strong connection to the past and a positive outlook on the future. As one of the oldest cities in North America we have a unique history, but we are also a growing city with the needs and opportunities of a modern urban population. The City of St. John’s is committed to recruiting world-class talent and expertise to join our City staff, more than 1200 strong, who provide a vast array of valued services to the residents of St. John’s and the metropolitan area. If you are an innovative thinker with a positive attitude and a commitment to quality, we want you to help us make St. John’s a city where people want to live and feel they belong.
Reporting to the Payroll Supervisor, the Payroll Administrator will prepare and process payrolls in accordance with all applicable legislation, collective agreements and policies and procedures of the City of St. John’s, ensuring timely, accurate and fully compliant payroll processing.
- Prepare and process accurate, timely and fully accountable payrolls in accordance with Union contracts and City salary and wage practices using a computerized payroll.
- Provide accurate and efficient service under the stress of constant deadlines.
- Monitor the account distribution of salary and wage payments including correcting prior distributions.
- Verify, calculate and data entry of various pay actions i.e. overtime reports, B-reports, Timesheet Reports, Shift Differentials, Severance Pay etc. arrange for cheque preparation, print and distribute pay stubs. Balance assigned payroll records, resolve and adjust discrepancies, analyze computer reports to identify and locate sources of error.
- Gather and analyze payroll data; make recommendations and prepare various payroll reports to be submitted to the Supervisor and staff of the Financial Services Division.
- Prepare a variety of reports from payroll data through manual and automatic means and assists supervisor in compilation of others. Maintain files for payroll records, correspondence and reports.
- Respond to queries from Government Agencies, Courts and other outside agencies and assist employees on payroll matters by telephone, in person, or via written correspondence.
- Prepare and balance remittances for payroll and various other deductions, including court ordered deductions and Third Party Demands.
- Provide Payroll assistance, guidance and interpretation to other staff involved with Payroll related information – i.e. Recreation Account Representatives and Timekeepers.
- Process Personal Actions – calculation of differential, rate change adjustments, prorate allowances and pay adjustments and tax changes received on TD1 forms.
- Document and maintain relevant Payroll processes and workflows.
The successful applicant will be required to participate in all training programs applicable to this position and other related work. The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Education – High school Diploma. Two (2) Year College Diploma in: Business (Accounting). Must have completed or enrolled in Payroll Compliance Practitioner Certification – of the Canadian Payroll Association.
Specific Skills/Certifications –
- Administrative/procedural decision-making and judgments skills. Knowledge and understanding of payroll documentation procedures and requirements.
- Knowledge of financial reporting systems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel or other computerized word processing and spreadsheet software package.
- Strong analytical and organizational abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Identifies and respects confidential information.
- Self-motivated to work effectively with minimum supervision as well as with a team environment.
Relevant Experience –
- Four (4) – Five (5) years’ experience in a clerical or accounting related work of similar complexity, including two (2) years’ experience processing all aspects of payroll in a computerized payroll system.
Other – Certificate of Conduct Required
A combination of other experience and training acceptable to the City may be considered.
- Office environment that is centered within a working team.
- High paced environment with many interruptions that shift priorities daily.
Hours of Work
Monday – Friday
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (33.75 hours per week)
Applicants must be members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 1289, or should be prepared to join the Union immediately upon appointment.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. The City of St. John’s does not accept applications in person, by email, fax or mail. Applications will be received up to 12:00 Midnight (Newfoundland Standard Time) on closing date.
This City of St. John’s is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the
employment of a qualified workforce which reflects the community’s diversity.
Company: City of St. John’s
Company Location: St. John’s, NL