Protective Services Specialist Job at QuikTrip – 4.1 in St. Louis, MO
DIVISION PROTECTIVE SERVICES SPECIALIST
A. Primary Purposes of job.
This position provides both physical and administrative security services for the Company. It protects employees, customers, authorized visitors, vendors, and QuikTrip and private property from harm; and deters illegal activity, theft, and vandalism within and upon QuikTrip’s property while preserving QuikTrip brand reputation as the convenience retail destination of choice. This position also provides research and documentation for security incidents occurring on QuikTrip property.
B. Major Functions of Position.
1. Conducts interior and exterior security checks of Store grounds and as directed, Non-Store Facilities. Essential tasks include identifying, reporting, and mitigating (within capabilities under the circumstances) observed life, fire, and safety hazards. Conducts appropriate notification to Corporate Security Operations Center to coordinate Emergency Responder or specialized services response if life, fire, or safety hazard requires immediate attention. Ensures internal sensitive areas and external access/egress points are secured per Corporate Security standards. For observed unsecured locations, determines whether site can or should be secured or suspicious circumstances necessitate notification to appropriate Corporate Emergency Contact. Ensures personnel and vehicles observed within and on Store property and Non-Store Facilities have legitimate business need for access. Initiates appropriate protocols, per QuikTrip Policies & Procedures for unauthorized personnel or vehicles. Logs results, actions taken, and unresolved mitigation measures for all hazards and security checks conducted and disseminates to appropriate Security / Operations leadership.
2. Designated primary responder for Security Incident Response for incidents that occur within and upon Store property, and as directed, Non-Store Facilities. Enforces Corporate Security Incident Response policies, secures scene and potential evidence, renders first aid, and directs traffic, if required. Responds to security alarms and calls for assistance. Provides security during the transportation of large sums of cash and/or other valuables, as directed. Determines whether particular incidents require Corporate Security Operations Center notification to coordinate Emergency Responder or other appropriate specialized services response. For those Security Incidents meriting an “escalation of force,” Security Officers have, in certain circumstances, the authority to temporarily detain another person pursuant to state law and in compliance with Corporate Firearm Safety and Use of Force Policies.
3. Conducts research, documentation, and preparation of evidentiary case files for Security Incidents occurring on QuikTrip property. Essential tasks include interviewing complainants, witnesses, and victims to document relevant facts. Maintains an auditable, digital archive record of every Security Incident case file created and logs data into the Security Department’s case management system. Prepares law enforcement reports on behalf of QuikTrip Corporation for those Security Incidents meriting law enforcement investigation.
4. Secures and safeguards Lost and Found property. Essential tasks include appropriately securing lost/found property, updating/entering details in the Lost and Found database, attempting to locate, then transfer custody of property to lawful owner, and disposing of unclaimed property per Corporate Security policy.
5. Performs other Security / Operations-related tasks and functions as directed by Management, including Physical Security Assessments of QuikTrip Stores and Non-Store Facilities per Corporate Enterprise Security System standards. Maintains 24/7 recall readiness to respond to QuikTrip Corporation-related incidents on a rotational schedule. Additional duties may require travel to and from any of the states QuikTrip Corporation conducts business to perform Protective Services-related missions. These duties will include the requirement to have and maintain a current and valid driver license. Must satisfactorily complete annual Physical Aptitude Test, Weapon Qualification, TASER re-certification, Emergency First Aid (CPR-AED) re-certification, Blood Borne Pathogens, NARCAN, Defensive Tactics, Active Shooter, Legal Update, and Mental Health Update per Corporate Policy as well as submit to annual 10-panel drug screen, background check, and motor vehicle record check.
6. Customer Relations.
a. Comply with customer service standards as outlined in Policies & Procedures, Standards of Store Operations, Customer Service Appraisal Program, and the Food Service Appraisal Program.
b. Ensure personal appearance is clean and professional looking as stated in Policies & Procedures.
c. Comply with local, state, and federal laws pertaining to responsible retailing, anti-trust, anti-money laundering, ADA Compliance, Food Safety, and EBT programs.
d. Ensure customer safety by correcting or bringing harmful situations (wet floors, icy sidewalks, oil spills, etc.) to the attention of the Manager on duty, and (when feasible) remediating the condition or ensuring appropriate notice/warning of the condition (wet floor signs) is in place until such condition can be remediated.
7. Store Appearance. Complete UpKeep tasks and assigned DAW tasks by complying with QT Standards of Store Operations and Career Development Tasks Guides.
- Stocking straws, cups, napkins, and condiments
- Sweep / mop floors.
- Wipe modules / counters
- Face store
- Face cooler / freezer
- Wipe check stand counter
- Wipe kiosk
- Roller grill glass
- Clean pastry case
- Clean and wipe out microwaves
b. DAW Tasks
- Clean coffee bar grates
- Clean fountain / frozen grates
- Wipe down Cappuccino machines
- Detail clean drink fountain modules
- Detail clean coffee / tea / Cappuccino modules
- Lock / secure beer coolers
- Clean store threshold
- Check ice / snow
- Fill crind paper
- Clean all glass / door frames
- Clean window trim / ledge
- Inside trash
8. Business Operations.
a. Comply with the Standards of Store Operations: Business Operations.
b. Record all hours worked to comply with wage and hour laws.
c. Communicate problems that have an effect on store profitability and the overall business operation of the store to the Manager on duty.
9. Employee Support.
a. Follow Standards of Store Operations: Employee Support.
b. Treat other Store Team Members in a respectful and professional manner through effective communication and teamwork.
c. Give timely and honest feedback verbally and through the performance evaluation program.
d. Actively participate in Store Team meetings and in one-on-one’s to improve individual performance and the overall business operation of the store.
C. Position in Organization.
Reports to: Store Manager or Assistant Manager on duty / Protective Services Team Leader / Protective Services Manager / Corporate Security Officer
Directly supervises: N/A
Inside the Company: Employees, Managers, Corporate Service Center, and Corporate Security Operations Center
Outside the Company: Customers, Visitors, Vendors, and other guests to QuikTrip property; Emergency First Responders
E. Position Specifications.
The required specifications (education, experience, and skills) are those that the employee must have to hold the position. The desired specifications are those that are not required for the employee to hold the positions, but the employee should try to obtain the desired education, experience, and/or skills to be effective and successful in the position.
Required education: High school diploma; Department of Public Safety (or other state equivalent) certification for Armed Security Officer; Emergency First Aid Level C (CPR/AED) certification; TASER certified; OC Spray certified; Hand irons and Baton certified.
Desired education: Bachelor’s degree (criminal justice preferred); Department of Public Safety (or other state equivalent) Peace Officer or Reserve Peace Officer certification; Standard First Aid Level C (CPR C/AED) certification.
Required experience: Three or more years as a commissioned peace officer; or five or more years reserve peace officer, armed security officer, armed investigations, or validated honorable military police service.
Desired experience: Five or more years as a commissioned peace officer; or seven or more years reserve peace officer, armed security officer, armed investigations, or validated honorable military police service. Retail store experience.
Required skills: Patience to deal with challenging interpersonal communication / conflict resolution situations; self-motivated; good communication skills (written and verbal) in English; detail oriented; ability to work independently and within a group; ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information; good computer knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
Desired skills: Leadership, complex problem solving, proven sound decision making. Designation as an ASIS Certified Protection Professional (CPP), Professional Certified Investigator (PCI), or Physical Security Professional (PSP) or equivalent. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
F. Sensory Requirements.
1. Using the percentage range scale as listed —
a. Never: 0%
b. Occasional: 1-33%
c. Frequent: 34-66%
d. Continuous: 67-100%
2. (Continuous) Worker must be able to hear, see and speak to supervisors, co-workers, internal customers and vendors, and to identify and deal with such via the telephone or in person in order to accomplish job responsibilities.
a. VISION. Far vision acuity of at least 20/30 in each eye with or without corrective lenses. Peripheral vision without correction of 140 degrees in the horizontal median of each eye. Vision capable of distinguishing basic color groups against a favorable background.
b. HEARING. The ability to verbally communicate effectively under noisy circumstances. The ability to detect or tell the difference between sounds that vary in pitch and loudness, to distinguish low intensity voice sounds from background noise. The ability to focus on a single source of sound in the presence of other distracting sounds.
G. Physical Requirements.
(Frequent) This job requires that the worker be able to stand for extended periods of time to perform work duties. (Occasional) Worker must walk to pick up, carry, and deliver items weighing up to 60 pounds. (Continuous) Worker is required to hold items such as writing utensils and tools. (Continuous) Worker must be able to grasp and hold items as necessary to complete necessary job functions. (Continuous) He/she must breathe (non-assisted) in order to effectively perform all duties. (Occasional) Worker must be capable of using physical force to detain a person in excess of 200 pounds or prevent unauthorized entry, be capable of sustained pursuit of a person on foot, and be capable of dodging, crawling, climbing, and rapid ascent or descent of stairs. (Frequent) Worker must be capable of spending extensive time outside and/or exposed to environmental extremes while wearing duty equipment and personal protective gear and perform a variety of tasks on various and potentially hazardous surfaces.
1. Must pass pre-employment medical examination.
2. Must satisfactorily complete pre-employment Physical Aptitude Test (PAT), and follow-up PATs annually thereafter.
H. Mental Requirements.
(Continuous) Worker must be able to concentrate and perform work with many interruptions (persons and telephone). (Continuous) He/she must be able to conceptualize work delegated by supervisor in order to complete it correctly. (Frequent) He/she must learn new processes as QuikTrip changes (working with new software and computer programs or updating Policy & Procedure). (Frequent) He/she must be able to think through, reason and solve problems (detecting and handling real and potential security threats, etc.). (Continuous) He/she must maintain his/her composure with internal and external customers, including individuals with mental health conditions, while deescalating / resolving interpersonal communication challenges and conflict resolution situations.
I. What is the extent of direct or indirect impact on sales, expenses, profits, etc.?
This position and the performance of specified and implied job functions will influence customer perceptions regarding the “QuikTrip Brand” and will potentially impact future sales and profits.
J. Please list any additional criteria which should be recognized in evaluating the scope and impact of this position.
1. Must be 21 years of age at time of application.
2. Must submit to a pre-employment criminal history background check dating back to age of 18, or seven years, whichever period is shorter.
3. Must submit to a pre-employment and annual 10-panel drug screen, in addition to annual and/or random drug screens as determined by management.
4. Must submit to a pre-employment financial background check.
5. Must submit to Department of Motor Vehicles screen and possess and maintain a current, valid driver license.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $28.64 – $33.95 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Stable — traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented — supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
Company: QuikTrip – 4.1
Company Location: St. Louis, MO