Scientific Programmer Job at Eurac research in Bolzano – Bozen, Trentino-Alto Adige
The Institute for Applied Linguistics (IAL) at Eurac Research is looking for a Scientific Programmer to implement and adapt software of interest for the IAL so as to support the needs in terms of selecting, installing and adapting desktop or online tools to explore and annotate textual data or to process text data for linguistic purposes using well-established libraries. The tasks of the new Scientific Programmer will also depend on the experience she/he will bring to the team and how it complements the skills of the researchers in the LT group he/she will join. One of the first tasks of the selected candidate will be the installation and adaptation of a web platform to perform crowdsourcing for Citizen Science purposes.
- Install and/or adapt existing desktop and online tools.
- Upgrade desktop and online tools already used at the IAL with new features.
- Create or upgrade scripts to process textual data.
- Document all code and scripts to ensure their long-term maintenance.
- Participation in the general activities including meeting, planning and dissemination activities.
- MSc/MA/Diploma in computer science or other relevant field, or a BSC in computer science or other relevant field and 3 years of work experience as a programmer.
- A record of past relevant activities (documented by e.g. freely accessible code repositories, recommendation letters, advantageous stack overflow or GitHub profile etc.) allowing us to evaluate the extent of the candidate’s skills.
- Knowledge of at least two programming languages among Python, Perl, and Java. Familiarity with other relevant languages such as Ruby or languages used for text processing tools is a plus.
- Good command of English, and both German and Italian (or the willingness to learn and become proficient in German and/or Italian).
- Outstanding social, organisational & communicative skills, including careful scheduling and excellent management of tasks.
- Capacity to work in a team and in a flexible and interdisciplinary setting.
- Experience within interdisciplinary projects involving several partners and geared towards humanities infrastructure and/or supporting the work of humanities researchers is a strong advantage.
Eurac Research offers competitive salaries that are calculated on a pre-established grid rewarding qualifications and experiences with regular increases. We foresee a fulltime 18 to 24 months contract with a possible extension to a permanent contract. If the selected candidate is interested, a part-time contract of at least 70% could also be considered.
Eurac Research is a dynamic, innovative and eco-friendly workplace where great research is performed. It strives to create an environment in which its employees feel comfortable, appreciated and considered and where they can express their best potential. As such, it offers numerous advantages and benefits that certainly contribute to its high rank among the official classification of the “Great places to work” in Italy.
For more information regarding the contract, the work environment and the advantages and benefits, please consult the additional information by clicking on the following link.
How to apply:
Please send your application as a single non-zipped pdf file named using applicant’s first and last names and ‘Scientific Programmer’ (e.g.: John-Smith-Scientific-Programmer.pdf) via email to linguistics_at_eurac.edu with “Application for Scientific Programmer – LT group” as a subject until 02.11.2020.
The pdf document should contain the following two elements.
- A cover statement of maximum one A4 page motivating why you are applying and how you can contribute to the project(s) of the IAL in terms of (a) teamwork; and (b) experience and know-how.
- CV, including (a) details of studies, background and relevant experience; (b) full list of relevant outputs (code repositories, software, software documentation, reports, scientific publications – if applicable). Names of referees to be contacted are not necessary at this point but are welcome, nonetheless. Referees can be any relevant person capable of attesting to the applicant’s skills, be it a previous employer for experienced applicants or a teacher for recently graduated applicants.
Applicants in the process of obtaining their MSc/MA/Diploma must have completed or nearly completed their studies by the time of their application. Only complete applications submitted will be considered. The appointment will start as soon as possible.
For further information please send a mail to egon.stemle_at_eurac.edu and lionel.nicolas_at_eurac.edu (change “_at_” for a “@”)
- Discounted/free food
- 13th Month Pay/End of Year Bonus
Application Deadline: 11/2/2020
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- working: 3 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Company: Eurac research
Company Location: Bolzano – Bozen, Trentino-Alto Adige