Senior Electronics Engineer Jobs in Plymouth – England – UK at Babcock
Title: Senior Electronics Engineer
Location: Plymouth – England – UK
Type: Full Time
Category: Engineering, IT/Tech
Salary: Salary 31165.04 GBP Yearly GBP 31165.04 YEAR
Senior Electronic Test & Repair Engineer
Spectrum Analyser / Network Analyser / Signal Generator
Electronic Component Test & Repair
About the role
Here at Babcock, we are looking for a Senior Electronic Test & Repair Engineer to join us at HMNB Devonport, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe.
We’re a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes and applying our core strengths of technology and expertise to sustain critical and complex assets to help maintain national security.
In order to execute the role and associated responsibilities, the post holder will need to have a varied level of knowledge and experience in the following disciplines but not be limited to:
• Test evaluation and acceptance of electrical and electronic units
• Diagnostic checks, identification and repair of faults on defective units (RF Amplifiers, Naval Systems etc.)
• Operate within a quality assurance process for all activities within the ERF
• Be capable of understanding and using a PC based software controlled test station for fault finding and acceptance testing of analogue, digital and RF printed electronic cards and a range of electronic units and power supplies
• Design hardware and software for new interfaces to implement semi-automated tests
• Liaise with other engineering departments to identify likely fault scenarios and acceptable repair timeframes within Service Level Agreements
• Interpret test requirements, produce test results and undertake analysis of results to determine defects and identify cost effective solutions
• Produce meaningful reporting data and progress reports to capture failure rates and obsolescence issues
• Control of assigned project classified material
What do I need to do the role?
You will need demonstrable working experience in an electronics Test & Repair role, you will be expected to meet the following competencies:
Knowledge of electronics engineering – analogue, digital and RF, single board PCB’s
• Experience in electronics fault diagnosis and repair to component level
• Interpret or develop test requirements to determine defects and identify cost effective solutions
• Qualified to IPC J-STD-001 standard in soldering would be great but is not essential
• Experience of software development to control test instrumentation and data manipulation (ideally Visual Basic / VB.net / C++ / LabVIEW and knowledge of IEEE488 Interface Bus) would be great but not essential *Training can also be given in this area!*
• Good oral and written communications skills at all levels.
• Capable of working independently with minimal supervision as part of a small team.
You will preferably be Degree qualified in an Electrical, Electronic or Communications discipline, HNC/HND in Electrical or Electronics Engineering is acceptable with suitable experience in electronic repair.
This role is based at Devonport Royal Dockyard which is located in the vibrant city of Plymouth, Devon in the south west of England. Plymouth is a city with a long and proud military history and more than its fair share of heritage. There is something for everyone here; from a superb coastline if you are a …