Senior Engineer/ Project Manager Substations Job at SMEC – in Johannesburg, Gauteng
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and energized Senior Engineer/ Project Manager Substations to join a leading infrastructure consultancy and contribute to the growth and development of a business with a reputation for technical excellence and strong client relationships.
The successful candidate will be based in our Pretoria or Johannesburg office.
Section Manager or any other person appointed to supervise him/her from time to time.
Primary Position Purpose
This position is responsible for providing professional services on projects within the Functional group, leading and executing Substation (HV and MV) Projects within the group.
With a minimum of 10 years post graduation experience in Transmission and Distribution Projects, the key responsibilities will be:
- Project management of medium/ large projects
- Management and coordination of multi-disciplinary project teams
- Taking responsibility for budgets, resourcing and outsourcing of project work within the section, as well as agreeing project budgets with other sections on large projects comprising multi-disciplinary project teams
- Authoring competent technical reports of acceptable technical and presentational quality
- Checking work of all those in the project team and taking responsibility for their work
- Presenting/ representing their technical work
- Drafting successful responses to bids
- Clear knowledge of work procedures and ability to brief project team on them
- Assigning work to others
- Regular client contact under direction of more senior manager
- Building relationships with clients
- Successful in identifying and following through on leads associated with additional work prospects on the projects they are involved with
- Clear understanding of local functional business technologies and markets
- Discussing in detail with clients the business technologies and markets
- Training others in respective functional field and building a team
- Marketing technical capability
- Supervising Engineers or Technicians in undertaking checks and inspections of constructed works for compliance with design and specifications, including monitoring and proposing remedial actions
- Development and/or improvement of function group specific design procedures
- Planning and coordinating investigations and surveys
- Coordinating work between functions
Recommended Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required
- Bachelor of Engineering degree/higher degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- Relevant Professional Registration – Pr Eng
- 10 Years experience post-graduation in Transmission and Distribution Projects
- Minimum 6 years of professional experience in HV Substation design and Project Management
- Experience in design management and design delivery for projects and managing professional teams of medium/large T&D projects
- PMP / SACPCMP would be beneficial
- Specialist Knowledge in Substation standards and applications would be beneficial
- Specialist Knowledge / Experience in Earthing and Lightning Protection would be beneficial
- Knowledge of QA and OHS requirements applicable to T&D Projects in a consulting environment
- Knowledge of the commercial aspects of project management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively write reports
- Courteous and business orientated manners when communicating with stakeholders to foster and promote good working relations
- Co-operative and flexible work style to work in a team environment
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to make technical decisions which are outcome driven
Closing Date: Friday, 24 September 2021
Details of the package on offer will be shared with shortlisted candidates.
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the “Apply Now” link below and follow the prompts.
Only candidates who meet the above minimum requirements will be considered. Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act.
SMEC is committed to an organizational culture that recognizes, appreciates, and values diversity & inclusion.
Company: SMEC –
Company Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng