Service Desk Lead Job at Home Office – in Hendon
£35,054 – £38,558
Higher Executive Officer
HO – Digital Data & Technology
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Part-time, Compressed Hours
Number of posts
Hendon Data Centre
About the job
The first duty of the government is to keep citizens safe and the country secure. The Home Office has been at the front line of this effort since 1782. As such, we play a fundamental role in maintaining the security and economic prosperity of the UK.
The Home Office leads on immigration and passports, refugee protection, counter-terrorism, policing, fire services, and crime and drugs policy.
Digital Data and Technology (DDaT) enables the Home Office to keep the UK safe and secure. We design and build the services that help people apply for visas or passports; support policing and counter-terrorism operations; and protect the UK’s borders.
This is an exciting time to be at the Home Office. You’ll have a chance to shape the future and support our mission to deliver exceptional public services that work for everyone.
Our work is guided by these principles:
- We put user needs first
- We value delivery and outcomes over process
- We work in the open
Our flexible working policy ensures a healthy work-life balance. We also nurture talent and offer a broad range of learning and development opportunities that will help you flourish in your role.
We work hard to maintain a positive working culture and are committed to helping you fulfil your potential. We value diversity and provide an open, inclusive and supportive environment to help you do your best work.
As a member of the DDAT IT Operations Support team, you will play a key role in the provision of service support at the Home Office, contributing to the delivery of high quality consistent incident, problem and request fulfilment management processes across the estate.
You will identify and log issues, and support with investigating and addressing Home Office users’ technical queries, requests, incidents and problems in a timely and professional manner, maintaining a clear focus on the user throughout.
You will work closely with other DDAT technical support teams and a variety of suppliers to address issues and restore services within agreed service level agreements.
You will also get the opportunity to learn about the variety of delivery and support approaches in place at the Home Office including Agile delivery and DevOps.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities include (but are not limited to);
- Acting as the first point of contact for Home Office users requiring technical support
- Acting as a point of contact for suppliers to advise of new incidents and / or the status of ongoing incidents
- Providing high quality first-line support for all user technical support queries, requests and incidents, in line with incident and request fulfilment management processes and procedures
- Ensuring effective management of issues and queries raised through calls, emails, self-service, web chat and face-to-face, and handling the resulting incidents or service requests, using agreed incident management and request fulfilment processes
- Proactively contributing to continual service improvement through the identification of Service Desk process and procedure improvements
- Producing and sharing Service Desk reports and analysis as required
The successful candidate should have;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- The ability to work as part of a team and to engage effectively with users, third-parties and suppliers
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- A strong sense of ownership and drive to follow tasks through to completion
- Experience of performing a similar role within the Civil Service or at other organisations
- Ability to use a Service Management toolset to log and update service incidents
- Have an understanding of Lean, Agile and DevOps principles within a Product-centric delivery model
- Have an understanding and / or experience of adhering to ITIL v3 / v4 service management processes and procedures
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Changing and Improving
Delivering at Pace
Making Effective Decisions
Managing a Quality Service
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Company: Home Office –
Company Location: Hendon