Service Manager Job at Murphy Tractor in Wichita, KS
The Service Manager is responsible for developing a team that is driven with purpose, demonstrating strong work ethic, professionalism and improving morale, creating and maintaining integrity and healthy relationships internally and with customers, managing and completing work orders and invoices, overseeing and assisting with timely filing of warranty claims, managing work-in-process to 15 days, maintaining service vehicle records, creating written process documents, managing quality control measures, conducting annual performance reviews, determining labor needed, assisting with diagnosing technical machine issues, working with employees to obtain training, scheduling monthly safety meetings and other general service department duties as directed by the President or Branch Manager.
Essential Functions-Kaizen (continuous improvement of process and reduce waste)
- Administrative – Maintain department communication in order to complete work and improve the effective service labor rate. Utilize various computer programs and communication tools as resources. Refine process for invoicing. Maintain billing cycle efficiencies, expenses and gross margins. Manage work in process to 15 days. Encourage teamwork, acknowledge and reward extra efforts, encourage and teach others.
- Facilities – Utilizing 5S and ASEC guidelines, maintain a clean, orderly and safe shop work area and service offices. Notify management of potential problems regarding the building, safety concerns (including snow and ice removal) and general needs to maintain the building in good working order and appearance to promote the company image both from the outside and inside when viewed by customers and associates.
Manage compliance with waste and scrap disposal
- Inventory Control – Maintain service department tool inventory for shop and road technicians, and the LTC tool crib.
- Service – Complete service data on invoices. Manage opening and closing work orders in a timely manner in order to minimize aged work-in-process. Perform s basic diagnostics and determine s what repairs are needed and advise s customers of replacement parts as necessary. Repair and replace damaged or worn parts. Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance. Prepare all reports and forms required in conjunction with work orders, taking note of the cause of failure/problems. Manage warranty processes and completion of warranty campaigns. Service and maintain company vehicles and shop. Maintain current knowledge of Company and competitor labor rates and capabilities. Maintain DOT compliance and condition of vehicles (including appearance), inventory, tools and equipment. Read and understand operating manuals. Work with customer invoicing problems. Read and understand financial operating statements. Develop opportunities / marketing ideas to increase the customer base with customers not currently using Lift Truck Center, Inc. as their service provider. Take lead in investigating and documenting any accident (internal or customer related), and ensuring appropriate follow-up actions are taken (i.e. employee drug testing, medical inspection)
- Manage – Manage, develop and update job descriptions, conduct semi-annual performance reviews for shop foreman, shop technicians, dispatcher, service administration and billing clerk. Manage operational compliance to servicing Fleet customers. Determine labor needed in preparation for work loads and plan the work schedule (including trucking). Assist factory and engineers with diagnosing technical machine issues. Ensure Service Department is productive and lost time is accountable and approved. Manage department so as to reach a minimum goal of 35% net operating profit.
- Training – Educate and train technicians in conjunction with the dispatcher on ethical and professional conduct. Work with employees in obtaining technician certification and complete training needs (including operator and customer service). Conduct quarterly safety meetings. Distribute technical bulletins and updates to shop techs. Promote and expect participation in the Toyota technician service training to have 80% or better of all technicians at Bronze level or above. Train techs on professional communication skills and how to review recommended repairs with customers (including financial incentives for techs to sell needed service)
- Quality – Manage and train to ensure our service department quality of work at minimum meets customer expectations (with the ultimate goal being to exceed and delight our customers). Using documentation, manage process for ensuring the quality of all trucks leaving our shop meet expectations. Personally visit a minimum of one customer every two weeks to verify quality of work and maintain relationships with existing customers.
- Manage the General Maintenance Contract billing (including overtime charges) to ensure that it is current and accurate with the assistance of the Dispatcher.
- Manage field customer communications through Dispatcher (calling mid afternoon to advise if unable to have a service tech respond before end of day) and proactively making a minimum of five customer follow-up calls each week to ensure satisfaction.
- Manage customer quote prioritization, accuracy, professional write up’s
- Proactively communicate with customers the status of shop work and any changes or revisions to the original estimate.
- Assist with other duties (i.e. occasional backup for dispatcher, or taking rental calls) assigned and directed by corporate management within the frame work of Lift Truck Center, Inc.
- Manage overall service department process and ensure that truck driver and technicians are communicating arrival/departure at customer locations to Field Service Manager. Ensure that building is secure at the close of each day, and as necessary, stay after hours until service team returns to dealership
- Work with HR resources to manage Workmen’s Compensation Claims
- Manage process through Shop Foreman for rental inspection (prior to delivery and pickup) to ensure safety compliance (including having operator manuals on trucks), reliability and recovery of missing items or customer damage
- Manage maintenance costs on rentals, full maintenance, and used equipment
- Assist Field Service Manager with PM set up, scheduling, and % completion
- Deliver parts, run errands, etc. as needed.
- Strong knowledge of methods, materials, tools and techniques used in the repair of equipment.
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Good skills in operating vehicles and equipment used for diagnostic purposes
- Strong focus on customer service and communication
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and Internet.
- Basic knowledge of office machines, including copier, fax and printer.
- Able to communicate effectively as appropriate for the needs of customers or coworkers.
- Strong attention to detail (through customers perspective)
- Able to create and work effectively in a team environment.
- Able to process work with accuracy.
- Meet commitments and deadlines.
- Able to complete required documentation and reports in a timely manner.
- Able to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
· Demonstrates openness to new procedures, technology and implementation.
· Assist with annual fiscal inventory duties
- Job description is subject to change based on the ever changing business environment.
Physical Requirements and Work Schedule
Able to do occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs. Employee must be able to stand, bend or crouch as required to provide assistance. Able to move or hold arms and hands in small areas, utilizing tools, for an extensive amount of time. Able to work flexible schedule with normal day beginning between 7:00-7:30 to prepare department, along with some evenings and weekends.
High school diploma or GED required. Two year certificate from a college or technical school or at least five years related experience and/or training in the subordinate position.
Lift Truck Center, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Lift Truck Center, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Finding the right employee is vitally important to our team. If hired, we recognize that you retain the option, as does the Company, of ending your employment with the Company at any time, with or without notice and with or without cause. As such, your employment with the Company is at-will and neither this letter nor any other oral or written representations may be considered a contract for any specific period of time.
Company: Murphy Tractor
Company Location: Wichita, KS