Special Assistant, Office of the Honourable Senator Dennis Patterson Job at Parliament of Canada, Senate in Ottawa, ON
Job Type: Determinate, Full-Time
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Minimum Salary: 44999/Year
Maximum Salary: 58498/Year
Closing Date: January 5, 2020
About the Senate
The Senate plays a unique role in shaping our country’s democracy. As members of the upper house of Parliament, senators examine legislation, study public policy, champion causes and conduct interparliamentary diplomacy.
As a workplace, the Senate is composed of dynamic people representing our nation’s diverse talents, backgrounds and perspectives. Build and advance your career by joining a team of dedicated professionals who are committed to excellence in support of senators and the institution.
How will you contribute?
Are you someone that thrives on challenges? Do you excel at keeping things organized to help ensure the organization meets its goals? If so, this is the job for you.
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and highly organized Special Assistant to support the office of the Honourable Senator Dennis Patterson. Your passion for excellence and quality service must be second to none. The successful incumbent will bring expertise in a broad range of administrative areas, including highly developed social media and writing skills. The candidate must possess the ability to communicate effectively across numerous channels, demonstrate a high level of autonomy and be effective in managing a variety of tasks, including; maintaining the Senator’s calendar, preparing expense/travel claims and drafting official correspondence.
Open to the general public to staff one (1) determinate position (with the possibility of renewal) in the office of the Honourable Senator Dennis Patterson.
- Post-secondary education or a combination of education, training and related experience;
- Excellent communicator in the Inuktitut language (expert level of comprehension, writing and oral communication);
- Experience providing administrative support in an office environment offering services such as: drafting a variety of documents, preparing briefing materials, formatting documents/event invitations, scheduling meetings, organizing events, preparing digital expense claims and managing filing systems;
- Significant experience and aptitude working with all social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc,);
- Fully proficient in all MS Office products;
- Detail oriented and well organized with the ability to manage competing priorities and short timelines;
- Strong written, verbal and social media communication skills with the ability to work independently and build relationships across the organization;
- Experience coordinating travel arrangements, monitoring expenditures and/or budget tracking would be considered an asset;
- French language skills would be considered an asset;
- Excellent research, analytical and communications skills as they relate to social media, policy review and legislative rules and procedures would be considered an asset;
- Experience dealing with senior officials and/or parliamentarians would be considered an asset.
Teamwork and cooperation
The Senate of Canada is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive workplace where all employees are provided full and equal access to employment, development, and advancement opportunities.
Conditions of Employment
Candidates must consent to supply personal information and obtain a security accreditation in order to be eligible for appointment.
How to apply
Alternative selection tool methods and/or reasonable accommodation for special needs are available upon request.
The use of masculine gender in the text includes feminine and is used without discrimination.
Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. You must consent to receiving e-mails from our system in your online profile.
The Senate of Canada reserves the right to retain a determined number of candidates who best meet the essential requirements of the position.
The Senate of Canada is a separate and distinct employer from the federal public service and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act.
We thank all those who apply to this selection process.
The posting closes at 11:59 p.m. EST on the closing date stated above.
Company: Parliament of Canada, Senate
Company Location: Ottawa, ON