Specialist Support Worker Job at Look Ahead Housing and Care – in Islington
The job requirements are detailed below. Where applicable the skills, qualifications and memberships required for this job have also been included.
Application closing date
26,500 per annum
25 days Annual Leave pro rata, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more.
Fixed Term Contract
Specialist Support Worker
Recruiting for Specialist Support Worker – 6-month fixed term contract / secondment – to join our service at Highgate Mental Health Centre!
GBP 26,500 per annum pro rata, working 40 hours per week, plus 25 days Annual Leave pro rata, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more.
Working in partnership with commissioners within NHS Trusts, CCGs and local authorities, C&I Hospital Discharge service supports people who are medically fit to discharge but who face other barriers to discharge.
These may be; housing-related (i.e. being supported to find a suitable/permanent/safe tenancy and providing assertive advocacy to ensure this happens quickly enough);
related to issues getting a social care package agreed and therefore facing a gap in support, requiring additional intensive support until this has been approved or:
some other issue preventing discharge such as lack of utilities, paperwork etc.
The service is a bespoke support package for those accessing the service agreed in partnership with the person and their clinical team. Look Ahead staff employed in a ward facing role would be able to access patient notes and to be able to update them. In similar schemes, staff have honorary contracts in place to ensure data security and have NHS email addresses to facilitate communication within NHS settings.
The Support Worker post holder will work closely with clinicians, specialist agencies and other stakeholders in the borough to ensure an effective and responsive service is delivered.
- Initial assessment with client (as C&I HD), currently working with inpatients, so community-based clients would fall under a different protocol.
- Complete/support housing referral and attach important documents such as Risk Management Plans, Risk Assessment, – Care coordinator details, etc.
- Build a relationship with local borough – whichever borough you are working closely with. It is important to know the professionals who work with what department. For example: No recourse to public funds, homelessness, family caseworker, mental health pathway co-ordinator and so on.
- Work effectively with ward managers, nurses, healthcare assistants and consultants.
- Liaise with wards and care team regarding discharge dates and work on a plan for a safe discharge.
- Organise and maintain files with updates, changes etc.
- Carry out support duties to enable customers to integrate into the community including e.g., accompanying the customer to attend benefit agency appointments and meetings, go shopping, to enquire at colleges about possible courses, to visit various public amenities.
- Report any observations relating to customers welfare.
- Adhere to all the policies and procedures of Look Ahead Care & Support plus those specific to the project including any statutory requirements.
- Ensure Look Ahead Health and Safety policies and local protocols are adhered to at all times.
- Maintain records as required at the project under the direction of the support workers / management.
- Participate in team meetings/reviews and the general development of the service.
- Undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as may be reasonably assigned.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time and is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Look Ahead
As a business, Look Ahead requires all staff to demonstrate key skills. The framework below brings together the needs of customers and managers and places them in the business context. Relationships with key customers (end service users) within team and organisation and with external partners and agencies
- Planning and organising workload
- Awareness of policies and procedures
- Time and resource management
- Team membership
- Promote team ethos and values
- Positive contribution to team environment
- Personal development in team context
- Results Orientation
- Assist customers to achieve Support Plan goals
- Achievement of local business objectives
- Financial awareness
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
- Exudes a warm friendly presence and open behaviour
- Is fundamentally calm and resilient, does not let emotion adversely affect them or obscure their judgement
- Has a practical and logical mind and is naturally well organised
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent.
- Mental health background
If your application for this role is unsuccessful, but we feel that you would be suitable for another role, we may contact you to discuss alternative opportunities. If this occurs, you would not need to submit another application for the alternative role.
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we are able to appoint to the vacancy before the advertised closed date.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion at work and are accredited with the Inclusive Employers Standard 2020. We welcome applications from people of all background
Company: Look Ahead Housing and Care –
Company Location: Islington