Team Operator – Lab Job at Shell – in Brockville, ON
What will I do in this role? How will I grow and develop my career in this role?
If you’re highly ambitious, safety-conscious, and thrive in complex and uncertain situations, then this role is for you. It will help you grow and develop in a business that encourages both personal and professional development where you’ll be part of dynamic diverse team.
The hourly rate for this position is $23.28/hr and the top rate is $35.99/hr. New employees will start at the entry level pay rate which is $23.28/hr. Lab operators are expected to progress to top rate and successfully learn to operate all work centers involved in the operation as required by the progression system. The progression to the top hourly rate takes about 6 years.
What is the purpose of this role?
To accurately provide quality assurance by testing samples against specifications and supply customers with the measured and interpreted results and to provide Maintenance, Repair and Troubleshooting Support for Lab Equipment.
To ensure that the products manufactured and distributed by Shell in the envelope conform to Shell Group, customer and legislative requirements through consistent strict adherence to standard and prescribed quality control test procedures.
To work as part of the Shell Lubricants Supply Chain team in the envelope to improve efficiency and reliability of lubricants manufacturing, and thus improve financial performance, through the application of quality assurance methodology.
To support Shell’s lubricant business through laboratory-based testing of lubricating oil.
To provide laboratory-based product development, trialing and investigative services when requested by Shell’s Oil Products businesses.
What is this role responsible for?
The Lab Technician is responsible for the following:
- Quality control of the following to ensure conformance to specifications prior to release, including:
1) blend oil sample testing
2) package filling sample testing
3) bulk truck/rail shipping sample testing
4) bulk truck/rail receiving sample testing
5) tank-to-tank transfer sample testing
6) Used lube oil samples from special customers
- Use of SAP and other computerized programs for daily operations transactions
- Recommend changes/updates to formulations of presently existing product to optimize blend properties
- Perform Blend Formulation and Laboratory Functions of the SAP R/3 System
- Trial blends new and modified products to come up with updated formulation meeting LQS standards, if requested
- Ensure that all lube oil and grease formulations are kept strictly confidential
- For off specification products, determining corrective action (uptreating, reblending, working off, etc) to optimize cost to Shell while ensuring that released products meet minimum requirements
- Test, assesses and recommends corrective action for the control and disposal of non-conforming products in coordination with the Quality Manager
- Conduct internal validation and calibration of laboratory equipment to ensure only accurate outputs are generated during testing
- Monitor Statistical Process Control (SPC) data of selected lube oil products to sustain the LQS requirement on reduced testing
- Assist the Quality Manager and the Regional Product Manager in the development and implementation of the different programs and initiatives of the envelope as well as for the region
- Troubleshoot problems related to laboratory equipment and tests methods used
- Refer to HSSE case for the HSSE critical activities/tasks
Translated Company Description
What special challenges does role encounter?
- Ensuring that laboratory testing is conducted Right First Time (RFT) according to approved test methods, of highest accuracy and within the set turnaround time
- Technical competency on multi-product testing
- Balancing the conflicting needs of the different stakeholders
- Continuous Improvement (CI) is part of the Shell culture, supporting projects that may require additional lab testing and involvement is expected.
- Shift work required
Experience and Qualifications required
- Relevant work experience in a like industry • Grade 12 diploma or equivalent required
- Relevant post-secondary education preferred
Technical Skills • Good problem solving and troubleshooting ability • Strong computer literacy skills
- Willingness to continually learn and upgrade proficiency Organizational Skills
- Ability to juggle several conflicting priorities without compromising safety or quality
- Strong, proven sense of urgency
- Ability to work in a high-performance team-based environment that requires high degree autonomous decision making Communication Skills
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to write and follow ISO and ASTM procedures as required
- Ability to function in a dynamic team-based work environment. Asset Skills and Knowledge
- ISO processes, procedures and Quality management principles
- Knowledge and user familiarity with lab equipment • Computer literacy; familiarity with SAP is a definite asset • Operators are expected to progress through all time and competency stage gates in order to reach top rate. • Shell operates in a diverse and inclusive global environment. Ability to adapt to change, strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills, as well as collaboration with all work teams is key. • Must be legally entitled to work in Canada for anyone other than current employer • Must possess a valid driver’s license • Willing to work a rotating shift schedule • Able to serve as a member of an emergency response team • Using safe lifting techniques, able to lift and carry 20 kg from ground to waist level • Ability to work safely wearing a respirator or Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) • Willing to comply with Shell’s drug-free and harassment-free work environment and comply with all safety policies and procedures • Willing to work in a diverse and team-oriented environment • Shell strives to eliminate or minimize health and safety risks associated with its business activities and is committed to providing a safe workplace for all workers • A condition of employment for this position is successful completion of a pre-placement medical assessment of your fitness for duty, background check, driving record check and Pre-Site Access testing for alcohol and specified drugs.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.-À NOTER: de temps à autre, il arrive que nous modifions ou que nous retirions des emplois chez Shell et nous nous réservons le droit de le faire à tout moment, y compris avant la date limite indiquée. Avant de candidater, il vous est conseillé de bien lire notre politique en matière de protection des données. Celle-ci décrit comment vos données personnelles peuvent être traitées et vous informe que vos données personnelles peuvent être transférées à Royal Dutch Shell/ aux sociétés du groupe Shell dans le monde entier. Ni le groupe Shell, ni aucune de ses sociétés de conseil en recrutement agréées ne sauraient vous demander de payer des droits pour examiner votre candidature à une carrière chez Shell. Quiconque vous demande un tel paiement n’est pas un représentant agréé de Shell et il vous est fortement conseillé de refuser d’effectuer un tel paiement. Shell respecte l’égalité d’accès à l’emploi
Company: Shell –
Company Location: Brockville, ON