VN 2021 224 Senior Regional Policy Officer (P4) Pretoria, South Africa Job at IOM Internationale Organisation für Migration – in Pretoria, Gauteng
The United Nations established a Network on Migration (Network) to ensure effective, timely
and coordinated system-wide support to Member States in the implementation, follow-up and
review of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM).
The Network consists of members of the UN system for whom migration is of relevance to their
mandates. Within the Network, there is an Executive Committee (EC) to provide overall
guidance and set strategic priorities to support Member States in the implementation, follow up
and review of the GCM. The Network’s Executive Committee members include ILO, IOM,
OHCHR, UN DESA, UNDP, UNHCR, UNICEF, UNODC and WHO.
The Network is coordinated by IOM. The Network Secretariat was established under the overall
authority of the Director General of IOM and is responsible for servicing the work of the Network.
In carrying out its mandate, the Network will prioritize the rights and wellbeing of migrants and
their communities of destination, origin, and transit. It will place emphasis on those issues where
a common UN system approach would add value and from which results and impact can be
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director for Southern Africa and the overall
guidance of the Head of the Network Secretariat, the incumbent will support the regional UN
Networks on Migration in Africa in the development and implementation of their workplans and
projects funded under the Migration MPTF, and support IOM’s co-convening of the
Opportunity/Issue-Based Coalition (O/IBC) 7 on Forced Displacement and Migration which IOM
co-convenes in its capacity as Coordinator and secretariat of the UN Network on Migration. In
doing so, the incumbent will closely coordinate with the Regional Liaison and Policy Officers of
the regional offices in Pretoria, Dakar, Nairobi and Cairo, and the IOM Co-convener of O/IBC7.
S/he will further perform other duties as required and directly relevant to the work of the
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Provide advice and guidance on policy matters and secretariat support to the regional
Networks in Africa, including collating and suggesting issues for action by the Network in the
region, in support of Member States and stakeholder efforts towards the implementation of the
GCM as well as provide technical and advisory support in the development and implementation
of their workplans.
2. Coordinate the regional Networks’ support to Member States and stakeholders in the
follow-up and review of the GCM.
3. Represent the Network secretariat in the region, in coordination with the head of the Network
4. Develop support mechanisms for collaboration between all constituent parts of the Regional
Networks and between the Network members and existing UN system coordination
mechanisms, including but not limited to O/IBC7 on forced displacement and migration, as well
as external partners in the region.
5. Manage coordination with and provide advisory role to the Network at the global level,
including the Network working groups and the Network Hub.
6. Develop resource mobilization strategies towards joint Network projects and
programming in the region, including for submission to the Migration Multi-Partner Trust Fund.
7. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in International Studies, or related field from an accredited academic
institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University Degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience in international development and developing country work
experience or field work in migration governance and displacement, social policy, human rights
and international relations;
- Experience in Migration policy advice including relevant global and regional frameworks such
as the GCM;
- Experience in UN coordination including secretariat support as well as
- Project Management as well as resource mobilization experience are advantageous;
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment;
- Background/familiarity with public policy making, political advocacy and intergovernmental
decision-making an asset.
- Sound written and oral communication skills, strong analytical skills, and the ability to speak
effectively in internal and external forums;
- Proven analytical, project management and organizational skills, including the ability to
prioritize and manage simultaneous critical tasks;
- Proven analytical and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and manage
simultaneous critical tasks;
- Good understanding of migration issues, trends and policies;
- Excellent communication skills, especially in a multilingual setting; advanced writing skills
- Proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team of colleagues from varied
cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Capacity to work independently under pressure with tight deadlines;
- Capacity to setup, maintain and work effectively in a team(s).
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in
English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French,
Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working
knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process,
which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the
ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and
communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain
eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in
the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty
station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No
late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 28 September 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment
system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 15.09.2021 to 28.09.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview,
processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations
Company: IOM Internationale Organisation für Migration –
Company Location: Pretoria, Gauteng